[Dixielandjazz] Oscar Peterson interview on Individuality

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Dec 28 22:39:18 PST 2007

A friend of mine who was the principal clarinet player with the St. Louis
Symphony had a band that played a lot of Goodman stuff.  The solos were all
transcriptions and the musicians were wonderful.  They played the tunes
exactly like the originals.  I thought it was great as a listener but I
never stood in line to be in that band.

I speak for myself.  I haven't heard anyone improve on the Miller solos and
I prefer them well played to the musings of other people.  Have I played
jazz through the solos.  Yes but when I am the listener I prefer the Miller
solos.  Do I improve on them?  No not any more than I could improve on
Mozart.

You said something about the solos on your CE and they blew me away at the
incredible technique of two very fine musicians.  I enjoyed listening to
them and I will enjoy it more but I'm not playing it.  I can enjoy a solo
weather it's written out or not if someone else is playing it.

What I was saying is that I don't particularly like to play written solos
myself.  I've played with several ghost bands that have come through the St.
Louis area.  Almost all of their solos are written out.  Well here I am
sight reading like crazy and what comes out is just a bunch of notes and not
always the right ones.  I don't find that to be a very satisfying
experience.  Most of the time I am very capable of improvising a solo in the
style that we are playing which will come off a lot smoother.  It irritates
me when a leader wants a solo to be exactly like the paper.  I don't even
like for guys to read a Dixie chart exactly like it's written.  I would much
rather have them have fun with it and show off a little.

I was playing with one of the ghost bands and they had very low stands.
About sitting knee level.   The solos weren't all that difficult but the
leader insisted that I stand up and play them.  Trouble was when I stood up
I couldn't see the notes very well.  So here I am folded in two in a bow
trying to read the spots.  The band leader is hollering at me to stand up.
So Jazz kicked in.  Now he's hollering at me to play what's on the page.
Next solo I stayed seated and the jerk starts hollering at me to stand up
this time he's on a live mike.  Did it make any difference when I told him I
was having trouble seeing the chart.  Absolutely not.  This continued almost
the whole three hours.  I'm sorry I don't find that to be fun.

That's all different if you are recreating something like Bob Coleman's
group (mentioned above).  I played hundreds of solos where I have played
them as accurately as possible but that was all in legitimate music and was
180 degrees away from jazz.  Did I like it.  Well sometimes but most of the
time I felt like a part of a phonograph, that is going through the motions
to reproduce something.

When I was in college I played with bands that wanted the sax solos like the
records.  It was money and I didn't hate it.  But I think that's what all
the girls working the street say too.  You do what you have to do.

Symphony musicians spend their whole lives trying to play solos as perfectly
as possible and do it over and over.  Been there,  done that, got the T
shirt.  I just don't want that kind of musical existence.  That's why when I
put down the Oboe I never looked back.
Larry
StL