[Dixielandjazz] Oscar Peterson interview on Individuality

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Dec 27 18:14:13 PST 2007

Larry Walton wrote regarding playing other people's solos.

>.... but doing someone else's solos just isn't fun to me....If you want
>exact, buy a recorder.
(snip)

Sometimes people's writing gets misconstrued.

I think some people on DJML who advocate learning other people's solos,
especially the great ones, don't necessarily mean playing them onstage.  But
learning them can be a great learning or teaching process.

 unless of course you are doing a recreation band gig or recording.

For instance, on the Fulton Street new CD, our tpt player does a couple of
Armstrong solos.  The reason is because they are so great that just about no
one could match them.  Every time I hear Louis do them, or our trumpet
player
do them, it honestly gives me goose pimples.

I think we only do it twice on the recording, plus the famous clarinet solo
on High
Society, almost note for note.

Bob Ringwald