[Dixielandjazz] Oscar Peterson interview on Individuality

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Dec 27 16:34:03 PST 2007

Some people, maybe 1 or 2% of musicians have incredible recall.  Mozart had
it.  That is the ability to listen to a piece no matter how complex and
either play it exactly or write it down.  I know only one man who can do it
but ironically he is a rotten musician.   He has a great transcription
library for his band.  Many musicians can do this to a lesser extent.

I have had students at Missouri School for the Blind that could do it.  Some
were Savants who had no other abilities.  It's even rarer still when that
ability is also coupled with the intelligence and drive to do something with
it.  I have known two such people.

One that I went to college with and who was soon after killed in an auto
wreck.  His hands just flew over the manuscript paper writing what he heard
in his head.

The other was Boots Randolph.

Some years ago Boots was in town demonstrating a sax gadget called the
Varitone.  There were three sax players on stage.  Representing Jazz was
Bobbie Craft, an incredible sax player who was no slouch when it came to
jazz.  At the end of the show there was a up tempo trading of choruses by
Bobbie and Boots.  This had gone on for several minutes and it almost seemed
that Boots said OK here is your last solo now match mine.  He played Bobbies
improv solo note for note and then ended it with a truly spectacular jazz
solo.  While Boots was not known, at least here, for jazz his musical recall
blew me away.  Later, over cocktails, I asked him about it.  He just sort of
looked at me, smiled and sipped his drink.

These are special cases but doing someone else's solos just isn't fun to me.
When I was in college the bands I played with wanted the sax solos in the
popular rock tunes exact.  I learned many of them to keep them happy but as
time would go by I changed them around.

If you want exact, buy a recorder.
Larry
StL