[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Thu Dec 20 00:33:56 PST 2007

Steve Barbone wrote, in part:

> Hopefully, the [Preservation Hall] road band
> does a little better. They stick to the original
> format, sell a lot of merchandise, and draw
> decent crowds to their performances. In some
> pretty neat venues from the Kennedy Center
> (DC) to the Kimmel Center (Philly) to Lincoln
> Center (NYC) and at some major contemporary
> jazz festivals.

We heard them a few years in another neat venue -- the courtyard of Robert
Mondavi Winery in the Napa Valley, on the Fourth of July.  Unfortunately, an
absolutely incompetent sound crew (incompetent for anything but rock & roll)
ruined the evening.  Everyone in the band was mic'd, but we heard only
thunderous drums and bass.  The trumpet came through in the background most
of the time, the trombone occasionally, and the clarinet and piano almost
never.

I was a Mondavi stockholder at the time, and I complained to the people in
charge that night - but to no avail. They were as tone deaf as the sound
guys. I also sent a complaint to the winery via email a couple of days
later, but got no satisfactory response.  Shortly thereafter I sold my
Mondavi stock.  (The only good thing was that I bought at 22 and sold at
41.)

Haven't returned to Mondavi Winery since, either for music or wine, and
since Constellation Brands (the Cook's Champagne people) bought them out, I
won't buy anything in the future, either.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers
Email: jobriant at garlic.com