[Dixielandjazz] Xtal set

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 19 23:14:38 PST 2007

Golly gosh darn Gees, I thought that I was the only one on the list to build a cystal set.. Mine was all home brew, including the Quaker Oatmeal Box for the coil. Of course this was in the 1930s Listened to a local jazz/swing radio station with a set of earphones under my pillow
   I In the 70s I built another from scratch like my original for my daughters elementary science class in grammar school. Had to use a real long wire and an amplfied transistor to hear any stations, felt like I was cheating. The school was in a rural area, 7000 ft elevation and closest radio station was 40 airline miles away over a 7900 ft ridge.

  Ah memories.