[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 19 20:30:05 PST 2007

The Wall Street Journal Article contained the following paragraph:

>"Preservation Hall's traditions -- its very existence -- are important keys
>to recovery in New Orleans. 'There aren't too many places left near Bourbon
>Street where you can play traditional jazz,' said trombonist Glen David
>Andrews, whose Lazy Six Band often plays there on Sundays. 'And playing this
>one means that you're authentic.'"

I'm not so sure that is quite accurate these days. Note the December
schedule, today through month end:

Upcoming Shows at Preservation Hall | 726 St. Peter Street | New Orleans, LA
504-522-2841 Doors: 8:00 PM | Show: 8:15 PM | Tickets: $10 Per Person |
Close: 11:00 PM No Smoking | All Ages Welcome

Dec 20, 2007    BRASS BAND THURSDAYS featuring: Tornado Brass Band

Dec 21, 2007    TROMBONE SUMMIT featuring: Fred Lonzo, Maynard Chatters &
                Robert Harris

Dec 22, 2007    SAXOPHONE A¹PLENTY featuring: Darryl Adams, Daniel ³Weenie²
                Farrow & Stackman

Dec 23, 2007    ³IN THE TRADITION² featuring: Glen David Andrews' The Lazy 6

Dec 24, 2007    Doors: 2:15 PM, Show: 2:30 PM Tickets: $15 adv,  $20 door
                CREOLE CHRISTMAS featuring: St. Peter Allstars, Topsie
                Chapman, & Big Al Carson SOLD OUT

Dec 27, 2007    BRASS BAND THURSDAYS featuring: Tornado Brass Band

Dec 28, 2007    LEROY JONES

Dec 29, 2007    NEW ORLEANS JAZZ SUMMIT featuring: Ralph Johnson

Dec 30, 2007    ³IN THE TRADITION² featuring: Carl LeBlanc¹s 7th Ward Griot

Jan 3, 2008     BRASS BAND THURSDAYS featuring: New Birth Brass Band

I make it two "Traditional jazz bands" in the next 10 days. The rest appear
to be other genres of New Orleans music. On the other hand, the road bands
are still doing their traditional thing.

Now that the admission charge has gone up to $10, maybe the musicians will
get closer to a decent remuneration, but I wouldn't bet on it. Especially if
the tip jar is controlled by management. <grin>

Hopefully, the road band does a little better. They stick to the original
format, sell a lot of merchandise, and draw decent crowds to their
performances. In some pretty neat venues from the Kennedy Center (DC) to the
Kimmel Center (Philly) to Lincoln Center (NYC) and at some major
contemporary jazz festivals.

Barbone Street shared the stage with them for "New Orleans Jazz Nights",
just before Katrina, at the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival (Wilmington DE,
Modern Jazz) and the Berks Jazz Festival (Reading PA, Smooth Jazz). I was
amazed at the number of T shirts, hats, CDs, posters, books and other
merchandise that they sold.

They know how to communicate with their audiences.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone