[Dixielandjazz] Banjitar - Swinginest Banjo Ever!

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Dec 3 15:24:32 PST 2007

I play guitar-tuned "short scale" plectrum and am quite happy with it. The
neck is roughly halfway in length between the plectrum and tenor. That
makes the strings tight enough to get a "ring" most of the way along the
neck. It has the volume and percussiveness to drive a band, but there's
something I hear in correctly tuned tenors that's missing.

I've always found that guitar tuning on tenors produces mostly "thunk",
but I played one for a couple of sets last Monday and it was ok. The owner
said he used thicker strings, but I didn't get details.

The guitar tuning sure makes playing in any key easier!

--Sheik