[Dixielandjazz] Banjitar - Swinginest Banjo Ever!

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 3 18:03:29 PST 2007

I have always thought that guitar-banjos (that's what I've always called
them) sound much too "tubby" especially when playing full chords. I think
this is mostly because it is almost impossible to tighten the head (even
with modern plastic head materials) enough to allow the bass notes to sound
clearly. It's like trying to play a snare drum with a loose head - there is
no tone to it - it just flaps. If you could tighten the head to the same
stiffness as the top wood on an archtop guitar (for example) and make it
bigger (like 12" or 13"), a 6-string banjo might sound ok. However, making
the head bigger and making it tighter are sort of mutually exclusive. The
thickness of the sounding surface makes a big difference too. I don't know
what Deering is doing to make their 6-string banjos sound good, but I'm
skeptical.

Shiek, I'm sure you know this, but if you put heavier strings on a tenor to
make up for the lower pitch of guitar tuning, especially on the 1st and 2nd
string, it would probably sound fine. The last few guitars I've built have
been tenors, and on the first one, I made the scale length too long
(23-1/2"), so it required about a 0.008 1st string to prevent it from
breaking when tuned up to the A. It was like playing a razor blade. I got it
to a 0.010 by making a new tailpiece about 1-1/2" longer than the original
to cut down on the overall length of the string. I still had to wince when I
tuned it up anticipating it to snap. The player that bought it is tuning it
plectrum, so it is not so much of a problem. After that first one, I
shortened the scale length to 22-3/8" on the next two, and the balance
between string gauge, length, and resulting tension is much better and
produces a much better sound.

All this is just my 2 cents worth...

Scott Anthony