[Dixielandjazz] Banjitar - Swinginest Banjo Ever!

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Dec 3 13:47:21 PST 2007

I played a six string banjo for awhile and I personally didn't like the
sound very much.  The low strings if played in a chord muddy up the sound.
If you can't use the low strings then what is it good for?   The low strings
on the acoustic guitar are quite mellow which is not a  characteristic of
banjos.  It's just not the same instrument and adding two strings doesn't
improve anything.

I Most people who play guitar first simply tune the banjo with guitar
tuning.  I think this is a mistake to try this.  I think you can do a lot
more with banjo tuning but I suppose if you were a very good guitar player
it might not make a difference.  I got to where I could play just about any
chord but doing melody and the chords at the same time just escaped me and I
was never able to do very well with melody/chords.  I think I went about as
far as I could go using Guitar chords.
Larry
StL