[Dixielandjazz] Update on the elusive "Bass Cano" question

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 26 15:26:00 PDT 2007

David Richoux wrote [in part]:
> If you remember back a few years, I and others on this list have been
> searching for any info about the so called "Bass Cano" ........ it
> probably was a discography typo or translation error going back to the
> 1960s............should have been simply "Bass Can" - a one string
> bass with a 10 gallon tin-can (or similar) resonator.  There are
> supposed to be some pictures of "Bass Can" instruments in Bengt
> Olsson's "Memphis Blues and Jug Bands".................Is the Quest
> finally over?

Dear Dave,
Yes. I recall that thread.
I also seem to remember locating in my files the disco reference to the
group that used it on record.
I believe that it is in my collection.
As my old emails are still 'locked away' in my computer, I can't access
the references.
Do you know the name of the group?
So far as the Bengt Olsson book is concerned, perhaps our resident
bibliophile, Dr Fred Spencer, has a copy and can check out the
photographs.
Kind regards,
Bill.