[Dixielandjazz] Update on the elusive "Bass Cano" question

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Aug 26 14:19:56 PDT 2007

Hi all,

If you remember back a few years, I and others on this list have been
searching for any info about the so called "Bass Cano" that was also
listed in some Blues discographies  as "Imitation Bass." The two
major theories about what it might be were a single string instrument
(but not a "Gut-Bucket,") or a vocal imitation of a bass, like the
Mills Brothers did. I have put this question to several other lists
and recently made contact with noted Blues historian David Evans of
the University of Memphis (Tenn.) <http://music.memphis.edu/evans.htm>

His reply is that it probably was a discography typo or translation
error going back to the 1960s! He thinks it should have been simply
"Bass Can" - a one string bass with a 10 gallon tin-can (or similar)
resonator.  There are supposed to be some pictures of "Bass Can"
instruments in Bengt Olsson's "Memphis Blues and Jug Bands"  - it is
way out of print but there are some copies in local university
libraries for me to explore further.

Unfortunately the words "Bass Can" are not a great Google search
term... but I did just find this:
<http://www.sirenmusiccompany.com/images/SLRPhoto.jpg> that is a
tuned one string bass with an automotive gas tank for a resonator!
(no idea about the group- pretty intense!)

Is the Quest finally over?

Dave Richoux