[Dixielandjazz] Update on the elusive "Bass Cano" question

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Aug 26 17:35:21 PDT 2007

Bill & all,

The most commonly listings of "Bass Cano" I have found were from some
mid-20th century blues recordings:
Hobo Blues 3:22 (James Rachell)
Yank Rachel - vocal & guitar
Sonny Boy (John Lee) Williamson I - harmonica
W. Mitchell - bass cano or im strng bass
Washboard Sam - wshbrd.
Recorded Studio C, Chicago, IL. Apr. 3, 1941.
Original issue Bluebird 8768/BS-064104-1.
Album: Bluebird Vol. 3 'That's Chicago's South Side'
BMG Music 63988-2

but there are a few others
Dave Richoux

you wrote (back in 2004:)
On Jan 9, 2004, at 7:28 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

 > Dear Anton,
 > I have 5 of the Yas Yas Girl (Merline Johnson) sides from 31
August 1939.
 > As you would probably have guessed.
The Alfred Elkins' 'vocal bass' is exactly that. A credible imitation
 > of a string bass, with Elkins "doo-dooing' in time with the music,
in tune
 > and chordally  correct. To the casual listener it would sound just
like a
 > double in the manner of (say) blues bassist Bill Settles.
 > I do not have the Monkey Joe sides.
 > I also have 3 sides from the Jazz Gillum session of 20 March 1941,
the
 > whole of the Yank Rachel session of 11 December 1941 (plus the 3
April 1941
 > session) but not the Joe Williams session of 12 December 1941. Alfred
 > Elkins' bass cano on these sounds to me like a single string
imitation
 > bass. Could 'cano' be an abbreviation/mishearing for 'canon' or a
European
 > name for 'canon' - in music: strict imitation or a composition in
which
 > strict imitation plays a prominant part. (Source: A Dictionary of
Music.