[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans musician protest march!

Rebecca Thompson rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Sat Aug 18 08:20:45 PDT 2007

I sympathize with the problems of low/no pay to local musicians... However,
I fail to see how a protest march will affect the tourist trade and
encourage them put their money in tip jars... As for the club owners...
their business has to be hurting because of the drop in tourists trade
besides the fact the locals are struggling to make a living.  Taxes are
increasing, rent is increasing...

Understandably, many musicians are on the road across the U.S. and to
Europe.

I can see a parallel between what is happening now and when Storyville
closed.  Musicians had to either leave, or find alternative work.

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX