[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans musician protest march!

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Aug 16 08:07:31 PDT 2007

This was in the latest NO Offbeat Online Weekly:

The Musicians' Union and the New Orleans Musicians' Clinic are
organizing a Musicians' Silent Solidarity March for Sunday, August 26
at noon. The second line starts at Armstrong Park and parades to
Jackson Square, but musicians are asked to carry their instrument,
not play them to protest the second class treatment of musicians.
Listen up! An email outlining musicians' talking points listed the
following five:

1. ALL New Orleans musicians should participate by carrying their
instruments but not playing in order to demonstrate the stark void IF
New Orleans' musicians quit playing and/or leave the city for more
lucrative career opportunities.

2. This march is a rallying cry to musicians to join together in
solidarity to demand the respect afforded to other professionals
since local musicians are considered "American Music's greatest
natural resource" and the back bone of the local tourist industry.
Musicians have paved the way for New Orleans to enjoy a profitable
tourist market and they must, therefore, be compensated for that
reward by which New Orleans has profited for decades. We urge the
city of New Orleans to respond to their professed love of our music
by putting their money where their mouths are and paying us as
professionals in order that we may continue to live and play in the
city we love.

3. This musicians' march is a reminder to New Orleanians of the rich
heritage that all enjoy and many profit by. Therefore, musicians are
an entity that the city should not only exploit, but actively
support, by paying to listen to their gigs and buying their CDs. Tip
jars = salaries. Pay musicians well.

4. This demonstration of solidarity is a reminder to musicians that
they should not sell themselves and their fellow musicians short by
taking low-paying gigs. They are the cornerstone of New Orleans and
are worth a high price.

5. This march is a call to corporations, restaurants and ALL private
citizens to take ownership of the rich musical heritage with which we
have all been spoiled. To keep the music alive, they must respond to
a moral call to support, preserve and enhance the viability of the
musical professionals in New Orleans.

more at http://www.neworleansmusiciansclinic.org/article070809.php

Dave Richoux