[Dixielandjazz] Firehouse Five+2--Everyobody Loves My Baby

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Aug 16 08:03:18 PDT 2007

 Mike Woitowicz wrote regarding the Firehouse 5 youtube videos:

 >I watched the youtube video of the FH5+2 performing "Everybody Loves My
Baby" several times and, even though I have listened to their CD's many
times, I still marvel at how unique their sound was (is). In watching and
listening to the video, I tried to determine what factors contributed to
this uniqueness.

> It seems to me that one of the strongest contributors was Danny Alquire's
> rhythmic, swinging cornet solos. I have noticed that before in listening
> to their music on CD. He seemed to have an infectious swing that just
> makes the other players want to "swing along".
>
> No doubt, there are other factors. I'd be curious as to how others feel
> about what made this band so unique.

One contributing factor was that they used the Lawrence Welk secret, KISS.

Another is the fire hats.

When I was 8 or 9 years old, before I had developed a more sifistacated
musical ear, I thought the FH5P2 were the cats meow.

Another contributing factor was Ward Kimball's ability to connect with the
audience.

Time and time again we are reminded that entertaining an audience is so much
more than just good music.

--Bob Ringwald