[Dixielandjazz] Firehouse Five+2--Everyobody Loves My Baby

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Thu Aug 16 06:48:15 PDT 2007

I watched the youtube video of the FH5+2 performing "Everybody Loves My Baby" several times and, even though I have listened to their CD's many times, I still marvel at how unique their sound was (is). In watching and listening to the video, I tried to determine what factors contributed to this uniqueness.

It seems to me that one of the strongest contributors was Danny Alquire's rhythmic, swinging cornet solos. I have noticed that before in listening to their music on CD. He seemed to have an infectious swing that just makes the other players want to "swing along".

No doubt, there are other factors. I'd be curious as to how others feel about what made this band so unique.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz