[Dixielandjazz] Is it jazz?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Aug 15 16:04:15 PDT 2007

Some Jazz songs become standards.  Likewise certain solos that go along with
the songs.  Over the years, the solos have become just as standard as the
songs themselves.

Musicians get very, very tired of playing certain songs.  However, we do it
because we have to.  Likewise with a few "Traditional/classic" solos such as
ITM and HS.

I am sure there are a few others floating around that I cannot think of
right this moment.

My band, the Fulton Street Jazz Band plays a tune titled Davenport Blues.
Composer credit, Bix.

The former FSJB clarinet player and current DJML Listmate, Bob Newman wrote
out a great Bob Wilbur solo from a Condon recording.

I suspect our current FSJB reed player, and DJML member Paul Edgerton, does
not always want to play it.  But, it is a great solo.  I love to hear it.  I
am always disappointed when he does not play it.

--Bob Ringwald