[Dixielandjazz] Is it jazz?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Aug 15 16:02:00 PDT 2007

Could it be that the players really don't like the Picou solo and/or want to
make it their own?  Personally I don't care for the version I have and I
most likely wouldn't care to play any version of it.  It's not jazz
(improvisatory) as a player would know it but is Jazz on the listeners (in
Jazz style) end.

No one is wrong but people talk past each other.  This is no problem until
you get into some Jazz societies who hire musicians who on the one hand want
to hear the Picou solo (or others) as they think it should be played which
probably means reading it as vs. playing an improvised solo in that style
without reading.  Some of them are very harsh in their criticisms when
musicians have paper in front of them.

Is it possible that Picou didn't want to play it the same way each time and
that's the reason why you heard 2 different Picou versions?  IMO this is
what Jazz musicians do.

> THAT isn't jazz.  It's in the style of jazz, but not jazz in the
> improvisatory style.

That's what I was saying except that I used A and B to separate it.  You are
just using different words.  This is why I said people talk past each other
but you do have the essential idea that there is a division even though it's
all called Jazz.  I also divided it according to if you were listening or
playing which is I think an important difference that is often ignored.
Larry
StL