[Dixielandjazz] Is it jazz?

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:37:36 PDT 2007

What Larry is meaning, but not really saying in the clearest wording, is
this:

The "standard" for "In The Mood" sax solos, what MUST be played, is copied
from the original Miller recording.  60+ years ago now.  In many settings,
the solo is actually notated, and the player is told to play the ink.

THAT isn't jazz.  It's in the style of jazz, but not jazz in the
improvisatory style.

Same with the Picou solo on "High Society" to an extent.  But, there are so
many different versions of the "real" HS solo, no one really knows what
Picou did originally.  A couple of months ago I embarked on a quest to hear
as many versions of it as I could.  Thanks to DJML and a few other sources,
I've heard about 9 different versions, not a one really similar, including
at least 2 markedly versions by Picou.

So, that's more in the jazz idiom, but probably not really it, in my
estimation.  And I'm rarely wrong.  ;)

steve "well, there's one" hoog