[Dixielandjazz] Is it Jazz? was Brubeck

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 15 13:40:30 PDT 2007

Folks--
     Another angle to view this problem from is that of the first-time listener.
     If you hear a tune that you've never heard before, and someone
plays a solo you've never heard before, the soloist might actually be
playing a written-out solo that he's played a thousand times before,
but to you, it's new and fresh, so it's 'jazz'.  To the soloist or to
someone who's heard the tune before, it may have long lost it's
allure because you've heard it so many times.  This is akin to the
old saw about having your favorite meal of all time, one you just
love--but if you eat that meal three times a day for a month, i
guar-aur-tee you won't like it nearly as much any more.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "There is no great concurrence between learning and wisdom."
**              -- Francis Bacon (1561-1626)