[Dixielandjazz] Is it Jazz? was Brubeck

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Aug 15 13:44:00 PDT 2007

Pat
I had another thought about the ITM sax solo.  Normally I really dislike
playing written solos.  When I was in college I constantly chafed at the
exacting requirements of the first Oboe chair in the Orchestra as well as
other groups I played in.  Some people seem to glory in it but playing
something over and over just drove me nuts.  I could do it but I just didn't
like it.  I felt like a record player.

This is were having a split personality helps.  I like to hear the ITM sax
solo exactly as it is written as well as some of the other Miller solos.  I
think they are hard to improve on and I have heard many players turn in less
than good improvised performances.  They would have been better off reading
the spots.  So I try to play them as accurately as I can knowing that the
people listening to me probably prefer that I did.  I have to say that those
are the only solos that I feel that way about.  But! I don't consider myself
as playing jazz when I do it.
Larry
StL