[Dixielandjazz] Is it jazz?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 15 21:17:45 PDT 2007

Robert S. Ringwald wrote [in part]:
> My band, the Fulton Street Jazz Band plays a tune titled Davenport
> Blues. Composer credit, Bix.
> The former FSJB clarinet player and current DJML Listmate, Bob Newman
> wrote out a great Bob Wilbur solo from a Condon recording.
> I suspect our current FSJB reed player, and DJML member Paul Edgerton,
> does not always want to play it.  But, it is a great solo.  I love to
> hear it.  I am always disappointed when he does not play it.

Dear Bob,
That Wilber "Davenport Blues" was recorded for Columbia on 24 Sept 1957
and released on the 'Dixieland Jam' LP/CD albums.
For those who might want to seek it out. It is also on the the Mosaic
CD set 'The Complete CBS Recordings Of Eddie Condon And His All Stars'.
A fine solo.
I'm playing it as I write this.
Kind regards,
Bill.