[Dixielandjazz] Bagpipes & Amazing Grace

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Aug 13 15:49:00 PDT 2007

A very close match for the Common Meter (eight and six) "Amazing
Grace/New Britan"  is the theme to "Gilligan's Island" - it works
well either way (and will drive your audience crazy at first trying
to figure out what is going on ;-) "Mickey Mouse Club" and "House of
the Rising Sun" lyrics also work, but not as well... (5 Blind Boys of
Alabama recently recorded that AG/Rising Sun mix, BTW.)

http://www.andover.edu/english/jgould/singingmuse/sillysets.html

I don't think I have ever heard a bagpipe band doing "Gilligan's
Island" (and I have heard many!) Maybe the strangest pipe tune I have
heard was the "Star Wars Medley" done by a New Orleans solo piper.

Dave Richoux