[Dixielandjazz] Amazing Grace (was/is Bagpipes)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Aug 14 00:24:12 PDT 2007

TBW504 at aol.com wrote:
> Interestingly, the now familiar and  traditional melody of the hymn
> was not composed by
> Newton, and the words were  sung to a number of tunes before the now
> inseparable
> melody was chanced upon.............Amazing what you can find in "The
> Song for Me".

Dear Brian,
Once again, an amazing DJML coincidence.
My Scots-born wife Jess and I went to see the 2007 film 'Amazing Grace'
this morning.
The story about William Wilberforce and his long fight for the
abolition of slavery by the British Government.
The alleged author of the hymn, John Newton (wonderfully played by
Albert Finney), is given plenty of space in the film.
We thoroughly enjoyed it.
And yes (for those who do not know that excellent collection of jazz
biographies) it is amazing what you can find in "The Song for Me".
Kind regards,
Bill.