[Dixielandjazz] Bagpipes

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Mon Aug 13 15:01:51 PDT 2007

After the disastrous failure in the 1740s of the Jacobite rebellion the
English ruled it became illegal for Scots to wear the tartan or carry weapons of
any sort. James Reid came before the courts in 1746 charged with being in
possession of a deadly weapon, a set of bagpipes. Not unnaturally he pleaded his
innocence only for the judge to rule that the skirl of pipes had inspired the
 rebels and was therefore an instrument of war. The unfortunate Reid was
subsequently hanged. Seems a tad harsh. For slightly obscure relevance to jazz
see also the entry and footnote for James Rivers. He was born 1937, Apr 18 in
New Orleans. Played reeds, bagpipes, and did vocals. Mentioned by Tom Stagg in
 Footnote volume 2-3 as one of the "young men of New Orleans" who are
continuing  the traditions of jazz playing, but with no other details. I have heard
that not  only did he play all the saxes, plus flute and harmonica, but also
bagpipes.  Recently discovered he played tenor sax with Bill Sinigal's
Skyliners. In 1974  he played in Sylvia's, a small club on Freret Street. In 1996 he
recorded with  Clint Eastwood, and Illinois Jacquet at Carnegie Hall. He earlier
played the  title track for Eastwood's 1984 movie Tightrope made in New
Orleans. Bagpipe  playing? Do not mock. A few years ago I was in Canterbury when a
parade band  including Tuba Fats, Cuff Billett and Sammy Rimington met two
Scots pipers  coming in he opposite direction. I said, "Give us a tune" and the
pipers struck  up "Amazing Grace". Fats picked it up and gradually the others
came in to make a  most moving performance. I have it on tape. Interestingly,
the now familiar and  traditional melody of the hymn was not composed by
Newton, and the words were  sung to a number of tunes before the now inseparable
melody was chanced upon.  They first appear united in a shape note hymnal from
1831 called Virginia  Harmony, where the tune is called "New Britain." Any
original words sung to the  tune are now lost. The melody is believed to be
Scottish or Irish in origin; it  is pentatonic and in the Dorian mode, and suggests a
bagpipe tune; the hymn is  frequently performed on bagpipes and has become
associated with that  instrument.
Amazing what you can find in "The Song for Me"

Brian Wood