[Dixielandjazz] EDDIE MILLER, JERRY FULLER

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Sun Aug 5 14:59:11 PDT 2007

Great story, Don -- thanks for your memories.    Yes, I had the extreme
pleasure of playing several weekends and festivals with Eddie Miller and I
agree with your comments about him.    A sweet gentleman.   His natural
concept of where the tenor should be in ensemble is absolutely perfect.
You know, he was first a clarinet player, then a tenor virtuoso.

Speaking of Jerry Fuller, also -- I have always felt his control of the
clarinet and his modern ideas are wonderful.   In order to see on paper some
of the things he recorded, I transcribed some of them.   His solo on
DYKWIM2MNO? with Teagarden's group in Japan just strikes me as genius on
wheels.   I wrote it down and then realized how useful augmented chords are
and where they just make things sparkle, thanks to Jerry.    When he was
here one time, visiting Bob Hirsch, I brought over a copy of his solo on
DIXIELAND ONE-STEP with the Dukes.    He looked it over and said thanks,
it'd be fun to go over.   He is, also, a real gentleman on the stand.

Not so incidentally, for other clarinetists -- Jerry Fuller, Abe Most, Chuck
Hedges, Artie Shaw, Jim Rothermel -- and others -- use synthetic reeds.
Jerry's suggestion for the altissimo range -- USE A HARD REED.

Bob