[Dixielandjazz] Basin Street Blues

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 5 06:53:11 PDT 2007

( where the eleate go to meet )...i don't think it will upset anyone, it's talking about a place were ( everyone can meet ).. i think that was part of the point of the song...>>

 The quote is `where the elite meet to eat`  Sorry, Duffy ain`t here.

. The point is not the PLACE but the PEOPLE.  The lyrics have changed to my knowledge from `black and white folk` to dark and light folk` to `poor and rich folk` and there are bound to have been others.

What was the matter with `black and white folk` in the first place.  Has anyone, anywhere ever approached the bandstand and said `I am one of the white folk and I object` or `I am one of the poor folk and I am being discriminated against`.
This sort of stuff is dreamed up by people who work in Government Departments with titles like The Office for Regulating Irrational Fulginous Inhabitants into Countrywide Equipoise  (ORIFICE)  who have to justify their jobs in any way they can.

Ignore them say I

Cheers

Pat