[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 56, Issue 2

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 12:14:33 PDT 2007

I basically agree with you, Steve, except that there were many white
groups that used a guitar (Eddie Lang, Al Biondi, Carl Kress, etc).
Also, banjos coule be better recorded acoustically, but the
introduction of electric recording changed that.  Nevertheless, the
banjo stayed for a while (personally, I usually prefer the guitar, but
there are exceptions).
Banjo is a louder instrument, and as ballrooms grew larger, there was
a need for an instrument that could be heard, and that gave the banjo
(and the brass bace) an edge over the quieter guitar (and double
bass).
And if "contemporary" traditional bands more often use banjos rather
than guitars, that's because: a)Lu Watters preferred it that way, and
b)the white critics who "invented" the "original" New Orleans sound
(and would have neither guitars nor saxophones) wanted it that way.
The blask New Orleans musicians, many of whom had no banjos, shrugged
bought them because there was demand for them (and not the electric
guitars they did own).
Cheers
SUPPORT LIVE JAZZ (tomorrow we're going to hear a Gypsy jazz violinist
Vitali Imerelli in Tel-Aviv).