[Dixielandjazz] Guitars and Banjos

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Aug 2 20:11:06 PDT 2007

Then, once electric recordings became viable, guitars once
> again became the preferred chordal instrument for small band swing. (a/k/a
> Black Band Dixieland and/or Condon Style)
----------------------------

Banjo for all it's color and rhythm just doesn't quite fit in a jazz group.
The guitar has a much better sound and I can see why it was a preferred
instrument but up until amplification cam in it just didn't have any punch
and if it did then it tended to get harsh IMO.  I don't particularly care
for the guitar strummed with a lot of volume.  You also lose a lot of the
subtlety that a guitar is capable of if it's played loud enough for a dance
or large auditorium.  I am talking about most venues and not a concert hall
performance where people actually listen.  The only guitar with that kind of
punch is the flamenco guitar and is almost percussive with a lot of
overtones.
Larry Walton
St. Louis