[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 56, Issue 2

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Aug 3 16:19:23 PDT 2007

The black New Orleans musicians, many of whom had no banjos, shrugged
bought them because there was demand for them (and not the electric
guitars they did own).

Wasn't the electric pickup invented by Les Paul sometime in the late 30's or
early 40's.  I didn't think that they were even available until after the
war sometime.  I suppose they could have miked them before that but I didn't
think it was possible to own an electric guitar before the war.

Maybe someone else has a slant on the early electric guitars.  The first
electric I ever heard was a steel guitar about 1950.  I was only 10 or 11
then.
Larry
St. Louis