[Dixielandjazz] Musicians as Guests?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 10:29:56 PDT 2007

Hi Guys:

  So many many musicians have developed these bad habits over decades
that they are no doubt hard to shake and unfortunately they have passed
this kind of unprofessional behavior down to many others who think it
is the normal situation for all gigs.

  If you WORK at any other job other than a BOOZE Testing person you are
simply not allowed to drink alcohol on your job and can often get fired
for doing so. The only legal exception that I know of is the Cooks &
Chefs who are allowed one beer if I recall in the kitchen.

  Even Bartenders are not supposed to drink alcohol while tending bar on
their shifts. Even though many of them do so, especially the owner
bartenders that open a joint just to have a place to drink with their
buddies. They also often destroy their own businesses by over doing it
as well and driving away more paying customers than they can keep
coming.

  I of course am not against anybody having a drink or two, so long as
they keep control of themselves, and do not show up drunk, or get drunk
and make an ass of themselves on a gig that I did all the work to
secure etc. etc. It is also important that they conduct themselves
appropriately after the gig around the client and customers to maintain
the professionalism of the band and our business relationships.

  With rare exceptions, NOBODY wants the liability of hiring a bunch of
Drunks or drug addicts who can destroy everyone else's hard work with
one foolish maneuver or statement at the wrong place and time.

Musicians having a couple of drinks has been accepted for decades,
unfortunately still many abuse the situation and therefore threaten
their employment opportunities over and over again, and sometimes it is
even the band leader.   Provided the person is not loading up before
the gig from a flask and then having a  reasonable drink a set they
usually do not get into any situations that threaten anything.   Most
people can handle one drink an hour on most days unless they are
drinking heavy duty 151 proof hard stuff to get hammered.    It's those
sip sip sip all day long guys that can develop problems, although some
of them can function and usually maintain  themselves because they
really work at it.   Some folks do have a problem with booze, some
control it and others just simply fly off the handle and lose it,
unfortunately you never know  when it will happen to any of them.
You wouldn't want your airline pilot nipping on his transatlantic
flight now would you, or your brain surgeon having cocktails during
your surgery  oops!   whadddayameanooops nursey wursey,, oh sorry my
bad  can you just tie that artery back together and maybe nobody will
know, hey anesthesia guy! give me another  little hit of that laughing
gas, I''m losing my edge a bit.  Did you say this guys was a Piano
player oh my too bad his finger bones on that hand are no longer
connected to the hand bone, damn these knives are sharp today. :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

  Elazar, your points are well taken. However, hear is my point as it
relates to you.

  If you were not invited by the host to go to the bar and drink his
booze for free, and if you were not invited to eat, especially with his
guests, I don't think you, or your musicians, would do so anyway?

  When hired by a client, would you muscle your way up to the bar to get
a free drink? Or sit down at one of his tables and expect to be served?
Or grab a plate and go through the buffet line uninvited?

  I hardly think so. However, unfortunately too many so-called
professional musicians do this.

  They also drink to excess, either the client's booze or what they
brought with them.

  It is correct to schmooze a client, and if appropriate, schmooze his
guests. But by the same token if the time and situation is not right,
then it is wrong to do so.

  A good professional entertainer can tell when and when not to do these
things. And as Tom Wiggins has mentioned several times, too many
musicians can't tell, or just plain don't care.

 --Bob Ringwald