[Dixielandjazz] Musicians as Guests?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Apr 29 22:39:46 PDT 2007

Elazar wrote, among other things:

(snip)
 > But music is also an art, and musicians (and those who hire us) are
> generally interesting people who are worth getting to know. I make a point
> of arriving at a gig smiling, friendly and outgoing. I compliment the
> hosts
> on their home, or the event, or anything I can find to say something nice
> about. In Israel, everyone has a story -- where do you come from, how long
> have you been here, what do you do for a living that you can afford to
> hire
> a 5-piece band for your party, etc. As I always say, the gig starts when
> we
> arrive, not on the downbeat.
(snip)

 Elazar, your points are well taken.   However, hear is my point as it
relates to you.

If you were not invited by the host to go to the bar and drink his booze for
free, and if you were not invited to eat, especially with his guests, I
don't think you, or your musicians, would do so anyway?

When hired by a client, would you muscle your way up to the bar to get a
free drink?  Or sit down at one of his tables and expect to be served?  Or
grab a plate and go through the buffet line uninvited?

I hardly think so.  However, unfortunately too many so-called professional
musicians do this.

They also drink to excess, either the client's booze or what they brought
with them.

It is correct to schmooze a client, and if appropriate, schmooze his guests.
But by the same token if the time and situation is not right, then it is
wrong to do so.

A good professional entertainer can tell when and when not to do these
things.  And as Tom Wiggins has mentioned several times, too many musicians
can't tell, or just plain don't care.

--Bob Ringwald