[Dixielandjazz] Musicians as Guests?

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Apr 30 13:43:22 PDT 2007

You are absolutely right, Bob. I was talking about how we see ourselves, and
that we ought not to behave as if we're only there to do the job, take the
money and run. However, I would never eat at an event where I'm performing
without either being invited, or asking the host's permission. Generally I
clear this in advance when booking the gig.

I suppose I'm lucky that my guys don't drink to excess. I myself prefer soft
drinks while I'm working, and I'm not a big drinker anyway. Since I've not
had a problem with my players, I don't police them during gigs. I usually
assume we can take soft drinks, or request them, depending on the setup.
It's hot and dry here. Only a heartless tightwad would expect us to play for
hours without drinking something besides tap water. For the hard stuff, we
either ask or wait until it's offered. Nobody has ever refused us at least
soft drinks, or failed to offer them.

Again, maybe I'm lucky, but so far I can't recall a gig where food or drinks
were served that we were not invited and welcomed to partake. The exception
that proves the rule was one wedding where there was a postal strike that
affected the delivery of invitations and RSVPs, and the couple didn't know
how many people were coming. They told us they would let us know at the
event as soon as they had a count, and if there was enough, we would be
welcome to have dinner. Since we played only the cocktail hour before the
ceremony, and they had a DJ for the main dinner party, and since there were
ample drinks and finger foods available, we simply decided not to make an
issue of it. We finished our performance, thanked and congratulated the
bride and groom, and said our good-byes. (They had paid me in advance.)

Most of the time we have to fight with the hosts to stop feeding us and let
us play. Some of them hand us food and drinks while we're in the middle of a
song! But I am with you 100% Bob. If we are there to make music, whether
paid or a freebie, that is always the priority. Anything else is icing on
the cake.

Elazar