[Dixielandjazz] Musicians as Guests

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Apr 30 09:37:47 PDT 2007

Many venues EXPECT you to socialize
with customers. I make it a point to go from table to table in a club or
restaurant setting, between sets, thanking the customers for being there.

LW - absolutely good business - I expect my band to do this too.

However I
> have been, and am continually invited to homes of clients socially. That
> includes Du Ponts et al, the rich and anonymous, and the politicians of
> the
> Philadelphia/Wilmington area. That was the point which Bob missed.

LW -- How many come to your pad and hang out with you on your turf?
Actually they are using you sort of like wallpaper to enhance themselves.
Exactly the same way that they hang the artworks that you mentioned on the
wall.  It's all the same.  Poorer people like to talk about us the same way.
There is a musician here that never stops talking about that he used to play
with me.  For heavens sake that was when I was 15.  Lets face it, musicians
are a luxury item and in many circles we are paraded out like fine silver
and talked about highly but in the end we are put back in the drawer until
they want us again.  If this isn't the case you are very lucky.

>And luckily, I can hold my own in a conversation with the high
> society or political types.

LW-- I'll bet you only say what they want to hear because if you told them
how you really felt on things one of two things would happen.  First you
would earn a friend for life or an enemy.  Since we aren't in the business
of doing the latter I would suppose you blow with the wind or keep your
mouth shut.

 Each case is different and we should be smart
> enough to adapt.

LW --- Absolute good advice for everyone.

Steve many of us have been there and done that not only as leaders but as
sidemen.  It's really hard to impress me with names or places that you or
someone has played.  You and Bob are sort of in a pissing contest with who
has played for whom.  I really don't care.  We are all in the same business
and have common problems and I would worry that someone out there might get
a distorted picture of what the music business is really like and how to
conduct themselves with a normal client.

I think it would be more useful to hear how you parlay one client into
another.  How do you get them to mention your name to their friends?  Do you
ask them or do you just let things happen?  How do you build that network?

This is a difficult nut to crack and word of mouth is very good advertising
and while I'm sure it's different with every leader there might be some
common threads that the rest of us can use.

A few weeks ago I got some great response from a flyer that I sent out and I
told the gang that I would send it to anyone who wanted to take a look at
it.  Only one guy responded but if there was one tiny thing on that flyer
that would translate into a gig for him then it was worth the time.  If it
didn't help then it was just so many electrons flying around the internet.

If you have something share it.

Larry
St. Louis