[Dixielandjazz] Musicians as Guests

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 14:32:05 PDT 2007

 Larry Walton, larrys.bands at charter.net wrote: (polite snip)

> Steve many of us have been there and done that not only as leaders but as
> sidemen.  It's really hard to impress me with names or places that you or
> someone has played.  You and Bob are sort of in a pissing contest with who
> has played for whom.  I really don't care.  We are all in the same business
> and have common problems and I would worry that someone out there might get
> a distorted picture of what the music business is really like and how to
> conduct themselves with a normal client.

Not trying to impress anyone. I am relating the facts of how I operate. I
found out long ago in the music business that if you expect to be treated
like dirt, you will be. Likewise, if you expected to be treated like an
equal, or guest . . . you will be

> I think it would be more useful to hear how you parlay one client into
> another.  How do you get them to mention your name to their friends?

By playing the music they want to hear and treating them as equals. The
performance (entertainment) speaks for itself.

> If you have something share it.

I thought that's what I was doing. I have posted on "how to do it" quite a
bit over the years. But it seems as if some folks read an attitude into it
instead of hearing the message.

Cheers,
Steve