[Dixielandjazz] Dress Apparel

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Apr 24 10:59:07 PDT 2007

LOL Larry:

You are correct,  some of them are not to be trusted to give things
back, ( unless it is a wife they borrowed)  :))   I have had them take
off uniform shirts and give them to ladies in the audience for
souvenirs ( in the hopes of gaining favors from the ladies)  and then
we were short shirts for the rest of  the tour.  :))   I have uniforms
of various sizes floating all over the S.;F. Bay area form guys who
took them home and never brought them back, and who were never invited
back to play with the band again after failing to bring them back.

I am with the loud mouth lady sadly, and insist that all uniforms be
turned in after the gigs ( within a reasonable time of course )  and do
not expect the guys to undress in public in front of the audience of
course, since we usually have a dressing room provided we have fewer
problems.      I have also had several players that were entrusted to
take them home and they showed up at the next gig in the incorrect ones
even after having been emailed as to what we were gong to wear that
day.

Therefore I have to keep a large surplus of several sizes on hand at
all times to make certain we have what we need to do the gig.

Unfortunately yes many band leaders have to think of everything to make
a gig come off successfully, you simply cannot leave it to the sidemen
who are pretty good at just barely showing up in many cases.   Many of
them simply are afflicted with a unique disease, DGS Syndrome  (Don't
Givea Sh*t)  for you or anybody else except their money free drinks,
free food and a chance to get a woman! :))    Try making one of them
pay for a uniform that he gave away and see what a hissy fit they throw
as they quit the band :))   And no they have never been asked to PAY
for the Uniforms, they have always been provided.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins