[Dixielandjazz] Pay Scales

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Apr 8 13:00:24 PDT 2007

> As a long time Union member I know what has been going on for a number of
> years.

LW .  Me Too

I do want to remind you that the Union is YOU, not the building or the
people that work there.  If you don't come to meetings, get rid of sorry
officers, come up with effective by-laws and generally get involved, then
you get what has happened to the AFM.

LW. --- I think I said that but it seems that you turn out one group of
officers just to get another sorry lot.  I'm sure that's not true everywhere
but it seems so here.  Having said that I like the new bunch more than the
old bunch.

Networking is very important and instrument insurance is easily available
and the pension fund has over 1.7 billion dollars in it, and pays out a
staggering amount monthly to retirees that have been vested after just 5
years.

LW.  These are very strong points and as I pointed out Networking is
probably the most important if it happens.

> I'm a professional musician and never thought twice about whether or not I
> need to remain a member.

LW -- I have remained a member for a lot of years but I often think twice or
more about it.

There are a lot of horror stories and I think we have all heard them.

LW- I have been personally involved in a few.

I know I will raise the ire of some on this list, but I continue as an
active member and host a weekly session here in Atlanta every Tuesday
evening and have 94 people on my mailing list.

LW.  Sounds like other locals could take a lesson from you.  Some years ago
our local hosted a jam session.  The Idea was good.  Various leaders would
bring in their books and the membership could come sit in and we could all
network, smooze, politic, keep up their chops and generally enjoy the
evening.

It was a semi disaster.  Most of the guys who showed up couldn't play and
often there were six tenor players.  The worst alto player in the city
decided to learn bass and showed up with his bass,  worse still some times
he wanted to play drums.  Some of the guys wanted to jam while others wanted
to do charts.  Almost never did the whole group actually do something
together that sounded good.  The better musicians were off at a club that
had negotiated a $15 (now $20 but still not much) pay for the evening.  The
leader organized it and called musicians to play.  That worked and is as far
as I know still going.  The band was an 18 pc big band.  I went to the hall
three or four times and then just didn't go back.

It's open to non-union as well to members, and is a community outreach
program that has been going on for seven years.

LW.  This is a good approach but most guys here are really gun shy of the
local.  It would take a lot of outreach.   I don't personally know a single
Dixie player that is in the local although there is a guy that has a band
that I only know second hand.  He slurps up all the union aided gigs.  There
may be others but everyone, for example, in the St. Louis Stompers is no
longer in the Local and they are a pretty tough group.  I don't know about
Cornet Chop Suey.

Many players have been hired for gig's from this effort and we don't give a
whit whether they are members or not.

LW - actually that's smart and also the law in this state which doesn't do a
thing for Unions.

I really hesitate to use the Union website or the booking agency because not
a single person in my band is in the union except me.  I just don't think
it's fair to use something that others pay for.  The last job I got through
the union I used one non member and two members (Myself included) who were
union members.  Since then the other member has dropped out.  I have no
objection to union members and I would prefer it but I can't stay in
business that way.

I don't think they even have a picnic anymore.

It's kind of topsey turkey.  The employer (Me the contractor) is in the
union and the workers aren't.  If you think of it that's really silly.
Larry
St. Louis