[Dixielandjazz] Pay Scales

Dave Hanson jazzdude39 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 8 10:10:35 PDT 2007

As a long time Union member I know what has been going on for a number of years. I do want to remind you that the Union is YOU, not the building or the people that work there.  If you don't come to meetings, get rid of sorry officers, come up with effective by-laws and generally get involved, then you get what has happened to the AFM. Networking is very important and instrument insurance is easily available and the pension fund has over 1.7 billion dollars in it, and pays out a staggering amount monthly to retirees that have been vested after just 5 years.

I'm a professional musician and never thought twice about whether or not I need to remain a member. There are a lot ot of horror stories and I think we have all heard them. I know I will raise the ire of some on this list, but I continue as an active member and host a weekly session here in Atlanta every Tuesday evening and have 94 people on my mailing list. It's open to non-union as well to members, and is a community outreach program that has been going on for seven years. Many players have been hired for gig's from this effort and we don't give a whit whether they are members or not.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave Hanson