[Dixielandjazz] Pay Scales/The Devil Is In the Details

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Apr 6 17:37:00 PDT 2007

Hi Ginny and Folks:

Start high and ask pertinent questions of the prospective buyer, the
more you know about them the better you can summarize the conversation
and their needs and determine what kind of money you can and should
charge for your services.

I say start high, because you can always come down and or deduct for a
charitable situation or hardship case or smaller venue etc.
I always start by telling them how much we make on the high end gigs,
which explains and justifies to them that they are talking to a
professional and first class attraction worth the money I am asking.  I
go into details to justify my fees and if they still say oh we could
never afford that, I ask them to tell me more about their situation and
what they would be able to afford and I would be happy to discuss it
with the guys and maybe they would do it if indeed we have the date
available and want to play.

Amazingly they usually come up with an offer not to far off what I
quoted once they know what price range we are dealing with, now the
bargaining comes from the fact that I start with a ten to 13 member
show and won't take anything less than an 8 member show.  If they can't
or won't afford that then they don't get Saint Gabriel's Celestial
Brass Band and Authentic New Orleans Jazz Funeral band.

You can always come down on your price quote to get a specific gig and
maybe even justify doing it , however we are like Hookers in the minds
of buyers, so once you establish your lowest price, that's what they
will offer you for ever and it is difficult to go up even a year later
with some kind of buyers and especially in OKOM events as most of you
already know.

They would get Jimmy and Joe and Leroy and Harry and Sam  who might not
even play together but just happen to be the guys available when the
band leader called.    Can you get a good band like that, sure if the
band leader is really good and picks his known sidemen form a pool of
great players, but this rarely is the case with hobbyist bands and
amateurs.

Like Steve I have a minimum to leave the Barn and I don't budge from
that, especially because I have to coordinate 8 to 13 people decide on
the appropriate repertoire for the occasion the proper dress,
transportation  rehearsal if needed etc. etc.   It is not easy being a
Band leader, agent, manager, promoter, publicist, roadie, shrink, and
banker for a band. :))   The guy or gal who thinks they can do all that
for a 10% leaders fee is dreaming nightmares :))

Those that do it earn whatever they make.

Cheers,

Tom " Show me the money" Wiggins