[Dixielandjazz] Why Americans don't like jazz: analysis of pop music.

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Fri Apr 6 09:07:22 PDT 2007

I'm going to generalize quite a bit here, but I think it will be useful
in answering the question.  These are my own observations.

Today's pop music (rock' n' roll based music)  started roughly around
1950 perhaps as a reaction to the complexity of Bebop jazz.  It evolved
until around 1970, at which point everything that could be done with the
genre had been done.  And then it went on for another 37 years with no
end in sight.  This is a highly unusual run for such a simple form with
little hope of evolving into art music.

I think the reason this has happened is that because the music is
guitar based, music literacy has been lost and as the form has been
passed on to the next generation, it is incapable of evolving.  Unlike
the horn, the easiest way to first learn to play the guitar is to play
by ear.  The guitar is peculiar that there are usually three places to
play the same pitch and every time one shifts up a fret, the whole
musical landscape changes - it's tantamount to changing the key of the
horn every time you shift.  Reading on the guitar  is hard, so no one
learns to read.  Learning to be free with the guitar in terms of playing
what you hear is also very difficult, but it is very easy to play a
pentatonic scale on the guitar - one can become fluent in rock
improvisation in a few weeks or even days. The difference between
playing rock and jazz is like the difference between a story teller and
a novelist.  The story teller can be good, but he can't pass on his art,
and he can never be as good as the novelist. In addition, mass marketing
encourages the rock genre because most established institutions resist
change.

So there it is, pop music is like the proverbial broken record, doomed
to repeat itself for the next millennium.  People who are used to simple
music have trouble listening to more complex forms, so it's not that
Americas hate jazz, they just don't understand it.