[Dixielandjazz] Need Info Re Jazz Funeral

Ingemar Wågerman gotariver at spray.se
Fri Apr 6 10:47:43 PDT 2007

Hello Joe,

We have played at some funerals, but not in USA - it is a little too far from Gothenburg (Göteborg), Sweden...

The first time we were hired to play some New Orleans tunes at the end of a funeral in a church in Gothenburg. The last tune was "Shall We Gather At the River" (you can listen to it on our web site http://listen.to/gotariver from our second CD!) It was a fantastic feeling to play this tune while the coffin was carried out from the church!

The next one was very special for me: it was my mother´s funeral at the small Salvation Army corps of Hönö, a small island off Gothenburg, where my mother used to play the piano for fifty years. Many visitors were completely overwhelmed  - they had never visited a funeral like that before. "Almost like New Orleans..."

We have also played at the funerals of some jazz friends. We play at many church concerts, so we have a rather extensive repertoire, also for congregational singing.

Greetings
Ingemar Wågerman
Gota River Jazzmen
http://listen.to/gotariver