[Dixielandjazz] Need Info Re Jazz Funeral

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 10:23:28 PDT 2007

In the last 6 months I have played three what some might call a jazz
funerals.  One was the wife of a fireman who passed after a lengthly
illness and we played Saints in the funeral home.  As it turns out the
guys I used were all friends or fireman except for the clarinet player,
plays in my group.  I paid him $50.00 for the tune.  I played one two
weeks ago, for a young man, we had played his mothers funeral some 15
years ago and wanted the same type of thing at his funeral.  We played
up beat stuff with a 5 piece group for about an hour at the grave side.
  $100 per.  The third was at a bar, 7 piece band, played  "Gone
Fishin'" and Amazing Grace, and few other tunes all things the deceased
and her husband liked.  The band donated their time and had the husband
donate, $100.00 per player to the jazz society.  Which he did.
I would say, you decide what you want at your funeral. to put it
bluntly it's your party and negotiate with the band their fees.  As
President of the Central Iowa Jazz Society I would imagine that there
are many folks who are players who would be honored to play at your
funeral (don't take that wrong)  I played one funeral several years ago
where the deceased asked that we play "I'm glad your dead, you rascal
you"  Again, it's your party!
later,
rf