[Dixielandjazz] Pay Scales/The Devil Is In the Details

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Apr 6 10:00:57 PDT 2007

I too have found that you never put down the other bands because sometimes
the person you talk to likes those other bands and if you put them down you
are putting down the customer too.  Bad, bad Idea. I always say they are
really wonderful bands but I try to be better and talk about the things they
don't do and how I'm different.  For example most of the bands in my circuit
do very few vocals.  I do lots of them.  Am I a great vocalist? No but I'm a
whole lot better than none.  I talk to my audiences and introduce the tunes.
Others don't really do that much.  I wear silly stuff sometimes with Easter
coming on Bunny ears pops to mind.  These things are different.   I shoot a
bunch of arrows in the sky and only one has to hit the target.

Since I have worked for almost all the other bands I know what they can and
can't do.  I also know that they can't take more than one job at a
time ------ Soooooo if there are two gigs available I get the other so who
cares if they are good or bad.

What's the difference between a GMC and a Chevrolet?  Nothing but the trim.

I think you guys need more chrome and bling.
Larry
St. Louis