[Dixielandjazz] Pay Scales/The Devil Is In the Details

Bill Allen ballen at deltapathology.com
Fri Apr 6 08:44:02 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <Gluetje1 at aol.com>
To: "Mr. Bill" <ballen at deltapathology.com>
Cc: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Pay Scales/The Devil Is In the Details
  Do you say to the
> buyer, "I'm selling a Chevy.  If you want a  Cadillac, call X?"

I was actually applauded for this once when selling my band. The purchaser
asked me about other bands wanting to play the same festival, and I gave my
honest opinion, such as, "They're a good band, have a hot lead singer, and
they're a little more "country" than we are."  That sort of thing. After a
few competing bands were discussed, the purchaser remarked that I was the
only musician she had talked to that didn't speak derogatorily about the
other bands (I'll bet that THEY did about US!).

We DID play the festival, by the way. And got decent money.