[Dixielandjazz] Pay Scales/The Devil Is In the Details

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Apr 6 08:17:47 PDT 2007

I appreciate the details Tom, Steve, Elizer are providing and hope the
discussion keeps going.  But some things I can't sort through.  If you  know you
are selling a Chevrolet and not a Cadillac, you price it less.   How then do you
avoid underbidding the price of the Cadillac?  I suppose  I'm really asking
for ethics we'd like to see prevail among booking  agents.  Do you say to the
buyer, "I'm selling a Chevy.  If you want a  Cadillac, call X?"  Steve talks
below about increasing fees yearly,  building demand, (business plan stuff);
about not charging so little that it  screws up the market in your area.  Seems a
challenge that may take some  psychic skills to discern.  How do businesses
(bands) start, build, grow,  and not have a cost that is less that the giants,
use pricing as a way  to get their product to market, etc.
Ginny

In a message dated 4/6/2007 9:51:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time,