[Dixielandjazz] How we listen to music

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Wed Apr 4 18:48:50 PDT 2007

I listen to lyrics when I'm learning a new tune. This can be an
invaluable tool when you are trying to figure out phrasing.
That's how I learned 'I could write a book', 'If I Were A Bell'
  and others. I listened to a vocalist do it first; usually
Frank Sinatra but also Ella Fitzgerald and/or Sarah Vaughn. I
also listen to how Billie Holiday phrases who, incidentally, was
a big inspiration to Frank Sinatra.

Mike