[Dixielandjazz] "New Orleans" Hoagie's That Is-

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 30 14:32:03 PDT 2006

Hello Marty (and listmates),

You wrote (regarding "New Orleans"):

>   A tune I dearly love; and Bill , I can't allow you to change
>   the lyrics without my immediate objection. To whit- in the
>   bridge, the words are:
>
>   It will remind you old fashioned lace,
>   Another smile will greet your smiling face,

I certainly would not be one to argue with you on this point, Marty, and I'm
sure you are likely correct.

However, I have noticed that the specific words of any given phrases or
sections of popular songs are often changed at will by the singer for
various reasons. So it's probably not an egregious transgression of which
I'm guilty.

But, in defense of the lyrics I wrote earlier . . . I took them verbatim
from the Firehouse Jazz Band Fake Book (page 59). So your argument is likely
with erstwhile DJML member, Louis Brown, but he passed away a couple of
years ago.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "The drinks are on me" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com