[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Jazz Styles

Martin Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 30 13:05:32 PDT 2006

Steve Barbone wrote:" There are certain tunes that Condon's group played 2 beat. No point
splitting that hair. And there are certain tunes that a guy like Ed
Polcer
will ask the bass to play two beat because that's what the tune cries
out
for. (e.g. Jazz Me Blues) Yet he is a Condon style 4 beat player. There
will
always be an exception or two to muddy up the categories, but the
reason we
categorize is to give other players or listeners an idea of what they
are
going to hear when they come out to a concert."

  Coincidentally I have been paying some attention while listening to my
  collection specifically to the rythm ; whether 2, or 4 beat etc. For ballads,
  (notably Bobby Hackett recordings) It is exclusively 2/4 behind the melody.

  The String Bass plays the one and three, and I can hear the guitar playing the
  two and four.
  This is a very pleasing sound to me! Also, on dixieland numbers many bands
  use 2/4 emphasis on the first chorus or two, establishing the dixie character and
  only when the "solos" start do they groove in 4/4. It gives the feeling of "forward movement."

  The only tunes that seem to be in 4/4 throughout are the really up tempo ones like
  China Boy, Avalon, Sweet Georgia Brown  etc. etc.

  Now for a "crass commercial announcement" : For any of you DJML folk whom are also "Gold Card members" of Giant Recreation World' s Florida branch---
  The annual Rally , Nov. 3-5 2006 at Grand Lakes Golf & RV, Orange Lakes FL
  will feature a "mardi gras parade" on Saturday Nov. 4, at 5:00 PM and Jazz and dancing from 8 PM to ?. My band is featured. A five piece group with myself on trombone, Al Stevens-cornet, Ed Cuneo-bnjo, Denny Walton-drums, and Ron Pirtle-bass. Should definitely be a "Blast!"  Some of the above musos and your's truly can be heard here: http://myspace.com/freemarty