[Dixielandjazz] Hoagy's New Orleans

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 30 12:48:18 PDT 2006

Sheik <dwlit at cpcug.org> wrote (polite snip)

> It's a 16 bar tune, and bars 13-16 are a real bridge. Unlike Jim K., I've
> never had a feeling that it ought to be 32 bars. We play it 4/4 at a nice
> dance tempo, with no bounce. Curiously the vintage Jimmy Dale stock chart
> doubles the tempo for a few bars toward the end.

Don't you mean bars 9 through 12 are the real bridge? Other than that, I
agree with you. It is a beautiful 16 bar tune, AABA of 4 bars each and the B
section bridge is bars 9 through 12. Played as a ballad, it is an
extraordinary piece of music, and a belly hugging dance tune.

Aren't there a lot of tunes that are 16 bar AABA, 4 bar formats, with what
amounts to a 4 bar bridge?  Like the chorus in Ja Da? As well as 16 bar
tunes with no bridge and 8 bar AB formats like the chorus in South?

Cheers,
Steve