[Dixielandjazz] Transcribing

Mike C. mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Sun Sep 24 16:49:14 PDT 2006

I'm curious to know who your favorite artists to transcribe are. What was your favorite solo? Do you typically transcribe people on your instrument only or are you more diverse? My favorites are Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke, Jack Teagarden, Lester Young, Miles Davis, Edmond Hall and Grant Green. I don't know that I have an absolute favorite though Lester Young's solo on "I Didn't Know What Time It Was"(Jazz Giants '56) and Miles Davis' solo on "So What"(Kind Of Blue) rank near the top. I also like Jack Teagarden's solo on "Riverboat Shuffle"(Jazz Great).